Writer’s Block. Are there any more common words in the writing world? Today I’m writing a list of ten things to do when you have writer’s block. Because #WritersBlockDoesntRock
- Google “Writer’s Block” and then read the posts that assure you that all though this is a common malady, it doesn’t have to be debilitating for long
- Clean your office
- Find some epic music and challenge yourself to a dance-off
- Beg someone to let you mow their yard, and then zone out while getting that mowing done
- Make delicious food (preferably of the healthy variety)
- Write something witty on Twitter and then laugh at yourself and whatever hashtags you used (For examples: #AmWriting #AmEditing #WillStopProcrastinatingSoon)
- Sprinkle glitter around your writing area and imagine its Imagination exploding around you
- Read a book to inspire you (PEOPLE! I have you covered with this one. Do you ever dream of getting new books for free? Today your dreams come true. #Yay I’m sending out my newest ebook, Where Dandelions Grow free in exchange for review. You can sign up here. #GoodIdeaRightThere #ThankYou)
- Throw some things in a backpack and head out into the wilderness where you learn how to start a fire with flint and steel
- Line up your cute little stuffed animals and think of all the stories you read during your childhood that involved talking creatures
Oh, wait. Were y’all expecting me to give hints about how to get over writer’s block? #oops If that’s what you’re looking for, here’s what I have to say: Surround yourself with every ounce of creativity you can collect, bask in it, then sit down and make yourself write, even if it’s junk.
Don’t listen to logic. Don’t listen to feelings. Instead set a word goal and write until you hit it. Don’t go back and edit. Don’t worry about if it makes any sense. Continue these sessions until your writer’s block has abated. Then you can go back to worth-while writing.
What about you? Which of the above suggestions sounds the best to you? I’m partial to #9, although I’ve never actually tried it…. #shhh