Developing Your Character – The Myers-Briggs Personality Test

There are so many resources on-line that can help a writer develop their character and get to know them better. The Myers-Briggs Personality Test has been a lot of fun for our family to do on ourselves, so, I thought Why not do it for Madalyn

The test is a series of 72 questions that you answer yes or no. The results are amazingly accurate at describing how you think, act, feel and relate.

Madalyn is an ESFP, which is the Performer. The results really pleased me, because sometimes it’s hard to answer the questions the way the character actually would, but as you can see below, it describes Madalyn really well.

What about you? If you take the test for you, or your character and feel like sharing the results, I would be delighted to see them! You can see this post I did last year about my results, if you’re curious. 🙂

11 thoughts on “Developing Your Character – The Myers-Briggs Personality Test

1. Anonymous says:

I'm ESFP as well! I'm not totally surprised since I knew Madalyn was a lot like me =)
    That's probably part of the reason I think she's such a great character. hehe 😉
    ~Verna

2. Cait says:

I'm an INTJ, which makes me feel special because apparently it's a very uncommon personality for girls to have? (I'm a spweshul snowflake.) No wonder I'm so strange. ANYWAY.

I was having a lot of trouble connecting to one of my characters once and so I did this! It REALLY helped. I started reading about what her “habits” would be and it just really got me into the grove of writing her. I realised why we didn't connect though — we were really really unalike. She as an ISTJ if I remember correctly. I haven't done it since but now I'm tempted! It's really fun to know your characters super well like this.

3. Aidyl Ewoh says:

Wow, good for you! I was so excited that I actually created a character different from me… Then I realized that all my letters are the same as Madalyn's except I'm an introvert. So, yeah… Your character sounds a lot different from you. I want to master that art some day. 😉

4. Aidyl Ewoh says:

(I'm like Yay! Cait's commenting on my blog! And then I have a blogger-fangirling-moment.) INTJ? I love being unique so I think I was kinda hoping (before I took the test) for a very uncommon personality like this, but obviously that didn't happen… And, wow. I can't wait until I can create a character who's so different from me. I keep trying but somehow they just slip into being like me. Well, I guess for one of my books she isn't, but I was hoping Madalyn would be really different from me… Oh well. One day, one day it will happen! 🙂

5. Emily Colby says:

I just took the test for my character Rilee, and she's the complete opposite of me. I'm an ENTP, and she's an ISFJ. But it really helped me get a better idea of her character. Anyway, just commenting to thank you for a post that helped me develop my charrie.

6. Aidyl Ewoh says:

Woah, that IS different! That's really crazy. Way to go with creating a character who's so very different from you. I am seriously impressed by everyone who is able to do that. And thanks for commenting, it makes me happy that the post helped out! Yay! 🙂