Never Surrender Blogfest

So, I’ve wanted to do a blogfest for a long time now. I’m a writer, and there’s so many of them for writers… I just haven’t been on the right blog at the right time to pick the right one.
THEN, today, I found one that I want to do. The Never Surrender Blogfest. Now I can’t say that I endorse the book written by the lady who’s having the blogfest, nor any of the other people participating, because, quite frankly, I haven’t read any of their stuff. I do think she (the author) had a fabulous idea, though!
So here’s what she says:
All you have to do is blog about a time you didn’t surrender. Trained for a marathon? Queried agents? Had to study for an entrance exam? I’m looking for inspirational stories that you have experienced. Hard things you’ve accomplished because you didn’t give up. I want to be inspired by you!
Sounds uplifting, right? So here I go:
So, about five years ago, I started not feeling well. It was in May or June, and the weather was hot. I just felt tired all the time. It got to the point where I had to take several naps a day, and I couldn’t think. It didn’t take long for us to find out I had thyroid problems.
{The thyroid helps your metabolism do the right things.}
We began working on getting my thyroid back to where it’s supposed to be. Including doing a sorta strict diet. Well, I was a super grump. I felt like I was a victim and it was totally unfair for me to have to deal with that kind of stuff. I mean, I was young and supposed to have everything good, right? (Now I look back and think ‘Duh!’)
My dad finally had enough of my attitudes (in a good way). I come from an amazing family of positive thinking where having an encouraging attitude is important. (Not that we see life unrealistically, but more like we look for the good things.) Thus, my dad had me begin reading self-development books, written by John Maxwell and those kind of people. =) By that time I was so discouraged I would only read a couple of pages a day (and I am a total ‘read the book as fast as possible’ kind of person).
But guess what, you all, it helped! By this time I was off my ‘diet’ because it was too hard for me, but before long, I realized it would help me feel better, so on my own, I got back on a much stricter diet, and began accomplishing a lot more stuff!
I was still tired all the time, and still had to take several naps a day, but at least I had a positive outlook on life, and believe me, I was a lot more fun to be around! Suddenly I was realizing that I wasn’t a victim. That many people go through far harder things than I was going through. That it was my choice, and my choice alone and I could Rejoice no matter what.
With God’s help, my family’s help and some wonderful books, I got a much clearer picture of what I could be doing with not feeling well, how I could use the time to grow inside, instead of fussing and being grumpy about it.
So there you have it, a time that I didn’t surrender. And I’m still not surrendering. Sometimes I get low for a couple of days, but then I find the strength and get back up and into the fight!
{I pretty much have been ‘sick’ ever since then and recently found out several “bigger” health issues I have. Hopefully I’ll be on my road to feeling better, soon!}

Alright, you all, how did you like it? I would greatly enjoy hearing your comments! Also, does anyone else want to sign up for the 50/50 Jaunt? Check out the page above! Thanks!

21 thoughts on “Never Surrender Blogfest

1. Julie DeGuia says:

Good for you Aidyl!

I also have a thyroid disorder and have been on medication for 11 years. The medication regulates my thyroid back to “normal” and I have no other issues. But, it sounds like your issues are a little more complicated. Good luck on this journey!

2. Taffy says:

Great post! Health problems can be very depressing. I like how your family is a good example and you were able to find your way to positivity and health.
    Thanks for visiting my blog!

3. Donna K. Weaver says:

Good for you! Taking control of your health and attitude empowers you so much. My hubby has many ongoing health issues. He could easily just give up and die, so to speak. But he keeps plugging away.

4. Marsha Sigman says:

Health issues are the worst! That was a very inspirational post though and so glad you are doing better. Never give up, never surrender!

I've been following Elana for a few years and I can vouch that she is awesome and so are all her followers.ha I'm glad you joined the Blogfest!

5. S.P. Bowers says:

Sorry about the health problems. I hear the thyroid can really knock a person out and that it's really hard to regulate. Good for you for learning not only how to deal with it but how to be happy and learn from it.

6. Dianne K. Salerni says:

It is nice to meet you through this blog fest!

Sometimes, we complain about things we want that we can't have, but it's only when a serious health problem comes along that we realize all the things we already have an take for granted.

I am glad that you found a way to overcome your discouragement and take a positive attitude toward beating this illness every day! Never surrender, indeed!

7. Kimberly Gabriel says:

Stopping by from the blogfest…. I love your dad's role in this story. I love your family's attitude too. My mom has thyroid issues. They aren't easy or fun to deal with. Good for you for coming out stronger from this! I enjoyed reading your story!

8. Jeremy Bates says:

Hyperthyroidism? You never said. I used to do some work for hospitals in editing medical transcriptions, so I am familiar with various thyroid diseases.

You did well to change “you” because many folks have added diagnoses that inevitably are added, namely: panic disorder, depression, anxiety and many others.

Keep fighting on!

9. Margo Berendsen says:

I know what you mean about getting down. Health issues – esp. when you are young – can seem so unfair and I'm awful about strict diets, too! But what a great story about not giving up. So glad you shared, sorry I'm so late to visit!